The Good Life Report - Health Tip Of The Week & Environmentally-Conscious Shopping Tips
"Never believe your best days are behind you. You may just need to reach farther ahead."
- Tay Zonday
Fresh Chopped Salad
- Champagne vinegar
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- ½ pound (8 ounces) cooked beets
- 12 ounces (about 20) baby carrots, halved lengthwise
- ½ pound sliced fingerling potatoes
- ½ pound marinated artichoke hearts
- ½ pound thinly sliced fennel
- 4 thinly sliced radishes
- ½ cucumber, quartered
- 3 ounces pea shoots
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill
- In a large bowl, mix together the vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toss the beets in the dressing.
- Cook the potatoes and carrots for about 8 minutes or until tender.
- Toss the remaining ingredients with the oil and vinegar dressing and enjoy.
Military Members May Be Able To File Taxes Online For Free
IRS Free File, a tool from the IRS, helps some taxpayers file for free. This may include military members and their families. The tool is designed for individuals or families whose adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less last year, but there may also be a special offer for members of the military and their families. Using Free File, users have access to guides on how to get started, online software, fillable forms, and more. There may be 10 software partners offering their services.
In addition, active duty military stationed in combat zones may also have more time to file their tax returns.
* This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov
The Right Set Up Will Get You Out Of The Bunker
For many golfers, avoiding the sand traps at all costs is their plan. But, you're bound to land in a bunker sooner or later, so you should know how to get out. One of the most important tips when trying to get out of a sand trap is to set yourself up for success.
First, ground your feet in the sand. Not only will this help your swing, but it will also help you get a feel for what the sand is like. Then, play the ball off your front foot which will help the ball's trajectory. Usually when you need to get out of the sand, a higher trajectory will be your friend. Do this by opening your club face by 2-3 degrees.
Lastly, shift 80% of your weight to your front foot to give your ball the backspin that it needs.
Tip adapted from Golf Club of the Everglades
Kombucha has been increasing in popularity and now you can find it everywhere from the grocery store to the gas station. Kombucha is fermented tea that is sometimes flavored with fruit juice or other flavors. This fermentation process makes kombucha a great source of probiotics. In fact, kombucha has been consumed for thousands of years!
Kombucha has a lot of potential health benefits. Here are a few:
- Kombucha is a source of probiotics. Probiotics may aid in digestion and may improve gut health.
- Kombucha is made out of tea, which means that it may also contain antioxidants. Antioxidants may help your body fight free radicals and toxins.
- Kombucha may also be able to kill bacteria in your body. It's a type of vinegar because of the fermentation.
In order to get the full benefits of kombucha, look for varieties that don't have added sugar. If you prefer flavored kombucha, look for ones that are flavored with real fruit juice.
Tip adapted from Healthline
Eco-Friendly Online Shopping Tips
Online shopping is a more eco-friendly option than going to a store. Besides, what's not to love about shopping from the couch? You can shop nearly anywhere you want without burning any gas. Here are a few things you can do to make your online shopping even more eco-friendly.
Consider how much packaging will be used for your order. Order multiple items all at once to reduce packaging. Some sites even give you the option to select a shipping method with less packaging.
Another great environmental shopping tip is to look for used items first. For example, websites like TheRealReal, Poshmark, and eBay offer secondhand clothing items, which are gentler on the planet (and on your wallet). Tip adapted from GreenLivingTips.com