The Good Life Report - Amending Your Tax Return, How To Incorporate A Hybrid Into Your Golf Game & More
"It's difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow."
- Robert H. Goddard
Pink Cheesecake Bars
For the Crust
- 2 cups shortbread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 stick of melted butter
For the Cheesecake Filling
- 16 ounces of softened cream cheese
- 1 ¼ cups thinly sliced strawberries
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 ¼ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened whipped cream
For Serving (Optional)
- Fresh strawberries
- Fresh blueberries
- Whipped cream
- Line a square baking pan with parchment paper and leave about a 2 inch overhang on the sides.
- Whisk together the cookie crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until combined.
- Press the cookie crust into the bottom of the prepared pan and refrigerate until firm (about an hour).
- For the filling, add the cream cheese, strawberries, sugar, and vanilla into a blender and blend on high until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into a medium bowl and add a cup of whipped cream. Fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Pour the cheesecake filling into the chilled crust.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours.
- Using the parchment paper to remove the cheesecake, remove and cut into 9 bars (tip: using a hot knife will make this easier)
- Keep the cheesecake frozen and put it in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes before serving. Serve topped with fresh strawberries, blueberries, and whipped cream.
Recipe adapted from Food Network
What to Do If You Need to Amend Your Tax Return
Mistakes happen, which is why the IRS offers taxpayers the choice to make amends to their tax returns. You may want to file an amended return if you used the wrong filing status, entered information incorrectly, have unreported income, or have changes to your deductions. Here's how to get started:
- If you do need to file an amended return, fill out Form 1040-X, Amended US Individual Income Tax Return.
- Mail the form to the address listed under Where to File on Form 1040-X.
- Attach copies of any forms or schedules affected by the change.
After filing, they should expect to pay additional tax owed as soon as possible. You can track the status of your amended return with the "Where's My Amended Return?" resource.
*This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax advice. We suggest that you discuss your specific tax issues with a qualified tax professional.
Tip adapted from IRS.gov
Make a Hybrid Club Part Of Your Tee-Game Strategy
In the past, hybrid clubs were thought of as "rescue" clubs that were designed to help you out of trouble. Today, though, hybrids have come a long way and can be a valuable asset for teeing up. Because many courses feature mostly par-4s and a few par-5s, teeing off with your driver on every hole doesn't always make sense. You might also turn to your 3-wood for added accuracy.
Hybrids are perfect for teeing off because they can help improve your accuracy. They can also be easily used on par-3s when you would normally reach for your 3 or 5 wood. Watch out for hazards and shoot high with a hybrid to avoid them.
Tip adapted from Golf Info Guide
Prevention Tips for Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month and there's no better time to share some prevention tips. Here are a few tips that may help lower your risk of breast cancer (and help you live an overall healthier lifestyle):
- Perform self-exams every month to check for any changes in the breast tissue. These self-exams may be able to help women spot abnormalities early.
- Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight or obese may increase your risk of developing breast cancer, as well as other conditions such as diabetes or heart disease.
- Limit alcohol consumption. Evidence may suggest that the more alcohol you drink, the greater your risk of developing breast cancer.
- Don't smoke. Evidence may suggest a link between smoking and breast cancer risk.
- Be physically active, which will help you maintain a healthy weight as well. You may want to aim for at least 150 minutes a week of moderate aerobic activity.
Tip adapted from Mayo Clinic
The Environmental Benefits of Video Calling
If you haven't used video conferencing calls in the last few months, you may want to consider not only the practical opportunities (social distancing) but also the environmental. We all want to be able to look in on friends and family members, but video calls give us an opportunity to connect while using less gas and energy.
Today, video calling is easier than ever. Most of these platforms offer a free membership level, which makes talking to friends and family affordable and convenient!